Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Growing Up Catholic - Sex Education and the Stick Figure

     I went to an all-girl's Catholic boarding school when I was in high school.  That education served me well as a women in that I had no male competitors for sports, class offices or grades.  As a matter of fact, I had no knowledge of males at all.  What they did and how they acted were a complete mystery.

     To say that I learned about sex from the nuns is a statement of fact.  Our sex class was taught by Sister Lacey in seventh grade and frankly, it was all over my head.  To complicate matters, the man and woman were depicted by stick figures.  The female stick figure had on a triangle skirt to depict her manner of dress.  The male stick figure had on no pants.  (A minor detail that really should have demanded a huge explanation.)

   Both the male and female stick figures had big round heads with no faces.  I thought, "If that is what my dream man is going to look like, there really is no need for this class."  These stick figures had quite a social life.  They went to the movies, read books together, ate pasta, but when it came to sex - No, No, and No Again!  I knew this was because I saw two horizontal lines with bobble heads on the screen with a dark red "X" over them.  It's surprising this universal sign never caught on with the general public.

     I was taught to be very modest and I learned my lesson well.  You can not imagine the trauma I felt when I wore a sleeveless white blouse to school instead of the standard uniform blouse.  I hid it beneath my blue blazer but it was a hot day and I took my jacket off in front of Sister Lacey.  She said, "Put that blazer back on; your blouse is immodest!"  Oddly enough, Sister Lacey didn't say anything about my plaid uniform skirt that was rolled up three times to capture the miniskirt trend.  And how could I be immodest, if the stick figure lady had on no blouse at all?
 
     To explain the level of my socially challenged sexual self is hard to explain adequately in words.  Let me try with a picture.
                                                                         ???
                                                                          O
                                                                         - |-
                                                                           /\

No comments:

Post a Comment