Saturday, October 26, 2013

Radio Interviews and "Winging It"

As a corporate comedian who performs clean comedy for women's groups I know the fear, stage fright and insecurities that arise that first time on stage.  However, years of experience in front of new audiences have given me the tools to handle unexpected elements that occur during a live performance. When I was asked to appear on a WGN Radio station in Chicago, I thought my years of stage experience would make an on-air conversation a fairly stress-free experience.  However, I learned that I would need to implement a new set of skills to make radio conversation both comfortable and fun.

Generally, radio stations ask you come prepared for the interview with a list of questions for the host to ask.  Comedians most often give questions that provide set-ups for jokes.  The interviewer asks the question and the comedian has something funny to say.  Up until five years ago, that was the only type of radio interview I had encountered.  That all changed the day I was booked on WGN Radio in Chicago with host Steve Cochran.  When I walked into the studio and extended my hand to give Steve my questions, he looked at me and very casually said, "Hey let's wing it."  My stomach turned a full circle at the thought of being interviewed as if I was totally unprepared!

That interview made me a believer in impromptu interviews.  Rather than responding to Steve Cochran's questions in a semi-robotic fashion, I was able to totally be myself and enjoy the moment.  I also realized that speaking on the radio is a lot like talking to your girlfriends on the phone - just chat.  The only difference is that thousands of people are listening.  That makes your thoughts, ideas and humor seem tremendously important!  Since my interview on WGN, I am hooked on "winging it."  The experience could not have been more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment